Send a message to your MP.
Let your MP know it’s time for the Government of Canada to invest in social innovation and social finance – for growth that is inclusive and improves outcomes in communities.
- Find your MP’s email address here.
- Copy and paste the email below. Fill in your MP’s name at the top and your name at the bottom.
- Add a subject line – something like “Implement a Social Innovation and Social Finance Strategy”.
- If you like, personalize the message by inserting, after the sentence “The SISFS would enable social innovation and social enterprise in our riding,” information about your work or other riding-specific examples of social enterprise. Click here to find a list of examples sorted by riding.
Email to copy & paste:
Dear [your MP’s name],
I would like to bring your attention to an initiative called the Social Innovation and Social Finance Strategy (SISFS), which, if implemented, would propel us into a social enterprise-led economic recovery that would not only spur economic development but do so in a way that enables communities to address the critical social and environmental issues that they face.
The SISFS would enable social innovation and social enterprise in our riding.
A bit of background: In 2018, the Social Innovation and Social Finance Strategy Co-Creation Steering Group released its report, Inclusive Innovation: New Ideas and New Partnerships for Stronger Communities. The report can be found here.
This comprehensive report contains 12 key recommendations that would help communities tackle their toughest social and environmental challenges through social enterprise skill development, social procurement, unlocking private capital, increasing market access, and regulatory changes. Following the release of the report, the federal government committed to developing a Social Innovation and Social Finance Strategy and, in 2018, announced a $755M Social Finance Fund and $50M Investment Readiness Program. BUT, the Social Finance Fund has yet to be rolled out; after a very successful 2-year pilot, the Investment Readiness Program is set to expire in March 2021; and there has been little action on the remaining recommendations.
Minister Hussen and Minister Freeland hold the keys to moving this forward. I respectfully request that you write to them asking for Social Enterprise, Social Innovation, and Social Finance to be central features in the Government of Canada’s post-COVID economic recovery, through
1. the acceleration of the Social Finance Fund ($400 million of the $755 million immediately),
2. the expansion of the Investment Readiness Program into an ongoing program ($100 million per year),
3. additional investment into nationally-focused social innovation clusters in key impact areas, and
4. implementation of the 12 recommendations of the Social Innovation and Social Finance Strategy Co-Creation Steering Group.
If you like, you can use this template letter to write to them.
Thank you for your consideration,